Thursday, June 21, 2012

Flipped Learning in My Mind, My Class

Passion to learn, explore, create, and connect with others is the driving force behind my interest in being in a classroom. To imagine that one needs to know it all is frightening, if nor crippling. Hence, I'm encouraged by Andrew Miller's admonition that you have to learn how to implement and master engaging models like Project Based Learning and Authentic Literacy in order to fully utilize the potential in Flipped Learning. Like everything, you have to start somewhere, test things out, enhance what worked, tweak what didn't, and reflect on every angle. It's what Peter Pappas addresses in his posts on the importance of reflection among everyone involved in the process.

I imagine beginning with brief podcasts on poets or music as a way to begin a subject. It would in essence be my hook. I'm also intrigued with having students create essential questions that become the frame for the podcast and/or launching a unit. Frankly, I never understand the nuances of anything until I dive into the process, the experience. In that sense, I imagine my ability to harness the usefulness of Flipped Learning will hinge on how I integrate it into a student-centered learning environment. That integration will also depend on my ability and opportunities to pursue things like PBL.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    Wonderful reminder of the structures that need to be in place before elements of the flipped classroom can be attempted. The teachers that are finding success with flipping, had already established a 'student-centered learning environment' in which the students learned to control the pace of their learning.

    ReplyDelete